Guidelines to Assist in
Emergency Action Plans for
& Severe Weather
1910.38, outlines the requirements for employee emergency plans
and fire prevention plans. Emergency action plans must cover those
designated actions employer and employees must take to ensure employee
safety from fire and other emergencies. The emergency action plans
must be in writing and be site specific. University of Northern
Iowa departmental emergency action plans for tornado & severe weather
should include these minimum elements:
- Procedure to alert employees of emergency (alternative
method will need to be developed for buildings/rooms that cannot
hear the alert siren).
- Procedure to assist disabled employees or students,
if applicable (identify who will assist in emergency or specific
area of refuge utilized until help arrives).
- Procedure(s) for employees operating critical
operations prior to seeking shelter, if applicable.
- Identify area designated as shelter/refuge for
- Procedure to account for all employees after
- Procedure or method for determining and announcing
emergency is over.
for shelter areas:
- Go to the basement or to an inside hallway at
the lowest level.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Avoid places with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums,
cafeterias, large hallways or shopping malls.
- Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as
a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.
- Use arms to protect head and neck.
find you have questions, call the University Safety Office at 273-7269.
an example of a general action plan: PDF
File MS Word File
UNI Campus buildings' emergency shelter/refuge areas maps.
emergency response phone numbers and guidelines signage.
Emergency Shelter Area signage.
Link to OSHA Emergency Action Plan e-tool