Back to News Archives
April 14, 2009
Maucker Union Ballroom
Sequence of Events:
8:30 – 9:00 am - Gathering, light refreshment, informal conversations
9:00 am - Welcome by Vice President for Administration and Finance Tom Schellhardt, Provost James Lubker, NISG President Pernell Cezar
- President Ben Allen speaks regarding sustainability at UNI.
9:20 am - Event host David Whitsett previews the discussion process and initiates the breakout sessions.
9:30 - 10:50 am - Breakout Sessions in Progress
11:00 am - Host Whitsett moderates the reports from each breakout session
11:45 am - President Allen concludes the meeting
You may attend all or only part of any session, depending on your schedule.
To register for these free breakout sessions, click HERE. Register the first time for your first choice of the breakout sessions below. Register again for your second choice.
Walk-ins are welcome, but registration allows best accommodation for attendees.
Issues relating to…
- campus properties (landscaping; mowing; pesticides & fertilizers; water use & water runoff)
- educating the campus community on sustainability issues (creating interest, personal commitment, & changes in behavior; leadership roles for faculty & students; creating a campus master plan; seeking grants & funding)
- investments in sustainability (recycling & waste reduction; green/renewable energy; building maintenance; food service; composting; purchasing & procurement; measuring resource use and assessing progress)
- policies for campus buildings (building utilization; LEED certification policies; thermostat settings; appliance use; lighting… interior and exterior)
- sustainability in student life (residence hall power use; in-hall recycling; sustainable move-out; vehicle policies)
- sustainability in the curriculum (certificate program; specific courses; part of liberal arts core v. integrated across the curriculum; encouraging faculty research/scholarship on sustainability)
- transportation policy (university vehicles; parking policies; commuting to campus; public transportation; travel policies)
Download and Display Our Poster!