Back to Moving Services
Moving Services FAQ
Where do I get boxes?
- Used boxes, if available, may be obtained by contacting Dennis Nieman @ 3-2869
- New boxes are available through Campus Supply
Is there a cost to move my office?
- Generally no; moves are coordinated for the most part on a first come, first serve basis and are initiated after completing a Move Form
- If the Facilities Services timeline does not work for a department, we can assist in hiring outside contractors to augment our staff efforts; departments will need to provide a university account number for the cost
What if Facilities Services breaks something during the move?
- Facilities Services personnel exercise due care and diligence while moving all items but we are not insured and our S&S budget does not support replacing broken items
- If items are of high dollar value, departments should weigh the replacement cost against the cost of hiring outside movers who are insured
- If items are personal or deemed irreplaceable, individuals should box and move them themselves
Does Facilities Services move computers?
- Yes, monitors, keyboards, hard drives should be individually labeled by staff member’s name and the new office number
- It is encouraged that you contact your staff/divisional computer techs to move your computers
What do I need to box and how do I label the box?
- All desk contents must be boxed; desks will be turned on end for transport
- All book shelf contents must be boxed
- Vertical 2-drawer and 4-drawer files can be moved with contents remaining inside; please lock for transport
- Horizontal files generally must be emptied and boxed; a 2-drawer file less than 30” wide is the only exception
- All credenza contents must be emptied and boxed; these will be tilted on end for transport
- Pictures can be moved without boxing and packing blankets are available
- Boxes should be labeled on the side with person’s name and new office number
If my furniture is going with me does it have to be labeled?
- Yes, by room number at the new location if multiple moves are happening at once
- No, if your office is the only relocation