Located on the west edge of campus, the UNI Power Plant generates steam and electrical power providing energy for lighting, heating and cooling systems for main campus builidings.
This co-generation plant uses four boilers with a total steam capacity of 345,000 pounds/hour to annually produce 689 million pounds of steam. The steam is used on campus for building heat, domestic hot water heating, cooking in food services, and making chilled water for cooling via steam absorption chillers. The plant is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Campus used 59.2 million kilowatt-hours of electricity per year. The power plant produces 41% of the electricity with a 7.5 mega-watt extraction turbine. The remaining 59% electrical usage is purchased from the local utility.
Steam and electricity are distributed from the plant to campus via tunnels, underground piping systems and underground conduit systems.
Plant tours may be arranged by calling 273-6393.
To report irregular utility conditions or utility interruptions, call 273-4400.