Faculty Leaves of Absence Benefits

UNI grants paid leave benefits to eligible employee groups.
Faculty earn sick leave at the beginning of each semester and
two personal holidays in addition to nine University recognized holidays.
An unpaid leave of absence may be available depending on the employee’s individual situation; examples include Family Medical Leave and Military Leave.
UNI Paid Unpaid Time Off Benefits

List of Paid/Unpaid Time Off Benefits

Complete List of Benefits

Frequently Asked Questions: Click Here

Forms and Resources
Faculty Request for Extended Leaves of Absence

Quick Tips
A request for a Professional Development Assignment must be submitted no later than October 1 preceding the year of requested leave.

A recipient of a Professional Development Assignment is ineligible for a subsequent assignment during the three (3) years of active service following an award.

A Faculty Absence Request form must be completed in its entirety and approved before leave can take place, when possible.

Unpaid Long Term Leaves for Faculty

Public Office Leave
Faculty Members elected or appointed to a full-time public office shall be granted an unpaid leave of absence for a maximum of four (4) years.

Terminal Degree Leave
Any tenured Faculty Member who lacks a terminal degree or equivalent in his or her current area of teaching and research specialization may be granted, upon request, a year's leave without pay for the purpose of working toward that degree. Such leave of absence may be renewable for a second (2nd) year, if necessary, for the completion of the degree.

Professional or Personal Leaves
Faculty Members may be granted paid or unpaid leaves of absence for professional or personal reasons with the consent of the Board.

Child Care Leave
A Faculty Member shall be granted an unpaid leave of absence, for a period not to exceed one semester, when a Faculty Member becomes a parent through childbirth or adoption of a child of less than 13 years of age. The University shall not be obligated to grant the leave to more than one parent if both parents are employed by the University. To be eligible for this leave, a Faculty Member must provide 60 calendar days of written notice whenever practicable.

Professional Development Assignment

The University may grant paid or unpaid leaves of up to one (1) calendar year to carry out research and/or educational activities supported under grants, contracts, fellowships, or University research awards. The University, at its discretion, may renew such a leave.

The employee should contact Human Resource Services to arrange for continuing or discontinuing insurance or annuity program coverage after leave is approved.

| HRS Privacy Practices Notice | Trouble Viewing Content? | hrs-mail@uni.edu |

Date Updated: July 15, 2011