What Happens When...My Employment Ends

What happens to my benefits if my employment ends with the

University of Northern Iowa? The following web page supports
Academic Administrators, Institutional Officials, P&S, and Merit
Supervisory & Confidential employees who are currently employed at
the University and will be ending employment.

What Happens When My Employment Ends?

Complete List of Benefits

Forms and Resources
COBRA Provisions
Benefit Vendors Contact Information


Health and Dental Insurance

Health and dental coverage ends at the end of the next month following your last day of employment. You have the option to continue your health and dental coverage through the COBRA provisions. COBRA allows you and/or your covered dependents to continue coverage for up to 18 months. For the COBRA rates, please view the COBRA web page.

Employees age 55 or older with 10 years of service have the option to retire from the University and keep their health and dental coverage for as long as they choose by paying the monthly premiums. For more information about retirement and to view the retiree rates, please view the Retiring from UNI web page.

Life Insurance

Your life insurance coverage ends on the last day of the month in which your employment ends. You have the option to convert your group life insurance and/or voluntary term life insurance coverage to an individual policy. Please contact Principal directly at 800-245-1522.

Vision Insurance

If you elected voluntary vision insurance, your coverage will end at the end of the next month following your last day of employment. You and/or your dependents will have the option to continue vision insurance under the COBRA provisions.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Participation ends on the last day of the month in which you leave employment. You will have the option to continue paying for your Health Care Flexible Spending account with after-tax dollars through the COBRA provisions.

Long Term Disability Coverage

Long Term Disability coverage ends on the last working day. There are no options for continuing coverage.

Long Term Care

To continue your voluntary Long Term Care coverage after you leave employment, please contact John Hancock directly at 888-383-2700.


Terminating Before Retirement (Under Age 55)
You own all contributions to your account. You can leave your money with TIAA-CREF as long as you would like. You can receive withdrawals from your account or roll it into an IRA. If you withdraw funds before age 59.5, they may be subject to an additional 10% early withdrawal penalty.

Retirement (Over age 55)
If you retire after reaching age 55, the 10% tax penalty will not apply. There are numerous withdrawal options including annuities. For more details, visit the TIAA-CREF website.

Please contact TIAA-CREF Customer Service at 800-842-2776, or the TIAA-CREF Coralville office by calling 319-356-8000, or visit the TIAA-CREF website if you have any additional questions.


You are always entitled to 100 percent of your contributions and interest earnings. When you become vested, you have a right to a portion of your employer's investment based on your years of service. To find the refund value of your IPERS account or to receive a benefits estimate, please call 800-622-3849 or visit the IPERS website.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

You will have access to the EAP through the end of the next month following your last day of employment. EAP offers initial assessment/referral and short-term counseling for employees and/or their family members. For more information about EAP services, please visit the Benefits EAP web page.

Unused Accrued Vacation

You will receive pay for all accrued vacation. The total compensation will be the number of hours accrued on your last day of employment multiplied by your hourly wage. Payout is usually made with the final paycheck. Payout is subject to Federal and State income tax withholding, FICA and Medicare tax and TIAA-CREF. IPERS is not withheld.

Sick Leave

You will not be paid for unused sick leave accruals unless you retire from the University. For more information about retirement and the sick leave payout, please view the Retiring from UNI web page.

Additional Information

For a list of the University benefits vendors and their contact information, please view the Vendor Contact List.

If you have additional questions, please contact Human Resource Services at 319-273-2423 or email your inquiry to hrs-benefits@uni.edu and a member of the Benefits team will respond.

| HRS Privacy Practices Notice | Trouble Viewing Content? | hrs-mail@uni.edu |

Date Updated: February 18, 2014