Workers' Compensation: Frequently Asked Questions
Complete List of Benefits > Workers' Compensation

For more FAQ’s on Iowa Code on Workers’ Compensation, please visit

Q1 What type of injuries should be reported?
  All injuries that happen while working for the University should be reported immediately to your supervisor. Injuries do not need to happen on University property for them to be covered. For example, if you are injured while traveling for work, this would be covered under workers’ compensation. Your supervisor will complete a First Report of Injury and return to HRS. It is best to report even small incidences, even if they may not require medical treatment.

An employee is not entitled to benefits for a preexisting injury or disease unless it is aggravated, or worsened, by the employment.

Q2 Who is eligible for workers' compensation benefits?
  All UNI employees are eligible, including Student and Temporary employees. Reporting injuries is necessary to claim benefits.

Q3 Where can I go for treatment?
  UNI employees need to go to Occupational Health for treatment. The following are approved sites:

Cedar Falls
Arrowhead Medical Center
226 Bluebell Road
Cedar Falls, IA
Hours: Mon-Fri 7am-5:30pm

Kimball Ridge Center
Medical Arts Building, Ste 330
2055 Kimball Avenue
Waterloo, IA 50702
Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30am-4:30pm

After regular clinic hours, employees are treated at Covenant Medical Center, Sartori Memorial Hospital, or Convenient Care.

Q4 Who decides whether or not I can work with my restrictions?
  Work restrictions are sent from Occupational Health to UNI. Human Resource Services and your Supervisor work together to determine when you can return to work, if you are not released to full duty. We make every effort to return you to work as soon as feasible with your work restrictions. Decisions are made on a case by case basis because position requirements and restrictions vary in each case. We want workers to return to positions they can perform safely. See also Return-to-Work Process.

Q5 Who should I contact if I am injured?
  It is important to first make your supervisor aware of your injury, so the First Report of Injury can be completed in a timely manner. If you have any follow-up questions in regards to your claim, you can contact, or call 273-6164.

Q6 How should I code my time missed from work due to my injury?
  If a person is injured on the job and is able to return to work, but needs to go for follow-up appointments, the time they miss for the appointment must be coded as SI (sick injury) on their time cards. This time will come out of your sick leave balance.

If you are injured on the job and not able to return to work, that time is also coded as SI (sick injury). You will receive Work Comp payments for the time they are off work. This will pay approximately 60% of your regular wage. You are able to supplement your work payments to receive your full paycheck by using accrued sick leave, vacation, or comp time. If you choose not to supplement your work comp payments, than you will be taken off payroll and time would be coded as Off Duty.

If you are off work for a time, return to work, and still need to go for follow-up appointments, the missed time for appointments will be coded as ED (Excused Duty) on your timecard.

Q7 What is the difference between Worker’s Compensation, FMLA, and the ADA?
Up to 12 weeks annually. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Preference only.
Not required, but may substitute sick, vacation, worker's compensation, short-term disability, etc. Not required. Not required, except to extent provided by insurance carrier.
Must continue for 12 weeks. Not required. Not required, except insurance will pay for medicals connected to on-the-job injury.
Intermittent leave based on medical necessity. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Light duty may be required.
Can require per Department of Labor regulations. Can require as it relates to ability to do essential functions of job. Required per insurer.
Required to start clock. Not required. Not required.
Must be allowed in foreseeable intermittent situation. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Not required, but may be related to light duty.

| HRS Privacy Practices Notice | Trouble Viewing Content? | |

Date Updated: December 15, 2011