Seasonal employment is short-term, temporary employment for true seasonal operations. At UNI, this would be limited to summer athletic camps and some academic summer camps. Seasonal employment is coordinated through Human Resource Services (HRS).
The Department of Labor has established that employment qualifying as seasonal may only span for up to six months each year. Iowa Code stipulates that the six month period is to be determined by each state agency. The six month period for Regents Institutions is April 15th and October 15th each year. If any work is to be performed before or after this date, the work does not qualify as seasonal employment. In this case, a temporary appointment or student employment (if enrolled as a UNI student meeting student employment criteria) may be considered.
The Fair Labor Standards Act exempts seasonal employment meeting the exemption tests from overtime pay and minimum wage provisions of the Act. Departments are encouraged to set fair rates of pay that are applied consistently based on the type of seasonal work being performed.
Seasonal employee pay is recorded on a Camp Staff Payment Form and must be submitted to HRS by campus mail (mail code 0034), by fax (3-2927), or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seasonal staff are paid every other Wednesday the first available pay date following processing of the Camp Staff Payment Form. See the student payroll period and payday schedule on the Office of Business Operations Payroll Periods and Paydays web page.
Currently, no fringe benefits percentage is applied to seasonal employment.
UNI Policy 13.21 requires all camp staff, including volunteers, to have passed a criminal background check and a sex offender registry check. HRS recommends an expanded check for staff with responsibilities for overnight camps or with other potential one-on-one interaction with youth. These will be referred to as "Basic" and "Full" camp background check packages (see Seasonal Employment Pre-Approval Form). For questions about background checks for camp staff, see contacts listed in right margin of this page.
- As soon as seasonal hiring need is known, complete and route Seasonal Employment Pre-Approval Form to obtain approval to classify positions as seasonal.
- Once approved, provide Seasonal Employment Offer Letter to selected camp staff. Provide signed copies to HRS to be imaged into each staff member's personnel file.
- Provide a list to HRS of camp staff to be hired. Contact (319) 273-3424 for direction on submitting this list. HRS will use this list to initiate required background checks and to ensure camp staff have completed required new hire paperwork.
- Ensure that the new seasonal hire completes new hire paperwork in HRS by their first day of employment. Federal regulations require that employees must complete an I-9 no later than their first day of employment and must present acceptable documentation to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, in person, by their third day of employment. This should be done in the Human Resource Services office located at 027 Gilchrist.
- Submit a Camp Staff Payment Form and submit to HRS by campus mail (mail code 0034), by fax (3-2927), or scanned and emailed to email@example.com.