Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program: Frequently Asked Questions
HRS > Learning and Development > Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program

Q1. What is an Academic Year?
An Academic Year begins in the Fall and runs through the Summer. A staff member may qualify for up to twelve (12) credit hours of approved study per fiscal year, not to exceed six (6) credit hours in a single academic semester or term.

Q2. What is the maximum reimbursement per credit hour for the Staff Tuition Reimbursement Program?
The 2013-2014 Academic Year maximum reimbursement amounts per credit hour (Fall - Summer) is $387.90 for Graduate level coursework and $277.00 for Undergraduate level coursework.

Q3. If I am enrolled in the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Option for the Program, when are late fees charged to my student account?

Electronic university bills (u-bills) are generated on the 1st of each month and they are due by the 20th of the same month. Each semester your u-bill will reflect the total amount of tuition and mandatory fees. For program participants who enroll in the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Option, late fees will be imposed the month immediately following the last month of the term. Ensure that all tuition & mandatory fees are paid in full by the end of the term to avoid potential late fees. Please contact the Office of Business Operations at 319-273-2164 or regarding questions on your student account.

Q4. When will I see the reimbursement applied to my UNI u-bill?
Once final grades are available in the Student Information System (SIS) for verification, Human Resource Services (HRS) will submit the request for reimbursement to Financial Aid for processing. Please allow for up to two weeks for the reimbursement request to be fully processed by Financial Aid.

Q5. For external coursework, what do I do when I get my final grades in order to be reimbursed?
Please send a copy of your official final grades and a copy of an official receipt showing the tuition only cost for the course without fees to HRS. Both documents must have the staff member’s name included on the document. PDF document format is acceptable when submitting to HRS.

Q6. What does reimbursement from the Program cover?
The Program is for qualified tuition-only costs only, expenses for books and additional fees are not covered under the Program.

Q7. Can I still receive grants or scholarships?
Yes, a staff member may receive other financial aid from sources other than non-Program University funds. It is important to remember the Program will only reimburse the remaining tuition-only costs.

Q8. Can my department pay for tuition?
No, your department cannot provide tuition assistance if you are working towards a degree or if the course is not required for your position.

Q9. Do I need to submit an Annual Application if I have been previously approved for the Program?
Each year, regardless of prior participation, a signed and approved Annual Application form for the upcoming Academic Year must be received by HRS no later than July 1. Annual Applications are required to help determine award approvals for an entire Academic Year. Annual awards guarantee approval of funding for an entire Academic Year in lieu of semester by semester approvals which can make the staff members planning of both school and work schedules more difficult.

Q10. When will I be notified that my Annual Application for the upcoming Academic Year has been approved?
Approvals for the upcoming Academic Year will be communicated shortly after the July 1 application deadline.

Q11. I am interested in applying for the Program during the current Academic Year; can I still apply for the current Academic Year?

Applications can be submitted after the July 1 deadline. Application approvals will be determined within the limits of the budgeted Program funds. Staff members who do not meet the July 1st deadline and are eligible, but are not awarded due to lack of budgeted funds, will be placed on the waiting list. Priority will be based on the date HRS received the annual application and they will be positioned after those who did meet the July 1 deadline. If additional funds become available, the staff member’s application may be reassessed for eligibility.

Q12. Can I receive tuition reimbursement for a correspondence course or guided independent study course?
Yes, reimbursement may be awarded for University and other approved correspondence or guided independent study if the coursework carries credit applicable towards a degree or certification.

Q13. I am not eligible for the Program until after the July 1 date, when can I apply for the Program?

Even if you are not eligible for the Program until after the July 1 date, you can submit your application for the July 1 deadline. Please review your eligibility date before completing the Annual Application form if you are a P&S staff member with an appointment category of Contract, Probationary, or Term. If you are a Merit employee with an appointment category of Probationary or Trainee please review your eligibility date before applying. Instructions for accessing your total compensation statement which contains your Employment Date. One year from the Employment Date is your eligibility date. HRS will review your eligibility date and can approve any credits for courses that have a start date after your eligibility date. For more information on eligibility please review the Program Policy 4.75.


Q14. Can I be denied reimbursement?

Although this rarely happens, reimbursement can be denied for failing to meet the Program requirements outlined in the Policy 4.75. Some examples include, but are not limited to, failing to submit a Semester Request form, failing to meet the grade requirement, and the termination of a staff member’s UNI employment. For more information on eligibility and Program guidelines please review the Program Policy 4.75.


Q15. What is the benefit of the Employer Reimbursement Deferred Payment Option?

The deferred payment agreement allows UNI students who qualify for the Program the option of deferring their u-bill until the end of a given semester. Iowa State University (ISU) students can also take advantage of this billing option when coordinated through the ISU Accounts Receivable Office.


Q16. Do staff members in the Program take advantage of courses offered here at UNI?
Yes, the overwhelming majority of staff members in the Program take courses at UNI and a small percentage take courses at other accredited post-secondary institutions.

Q17. What happens when my UNI employment ends?
Termination of a staff member’s UNI employment prior to the completion of the course will be considered a disqualification from the Program and payments will not be processed, unless termination is the result of layoff or death.

Termination of a staff member’s UNI employment prior to their commitment to maintain employment at UNI or another State Agency for one month per credit after the semester or term end date will be considered a disqualification from the Program, unless termination is the result of layoff or death. The disqualified staff member will be required to pay UNI one hundred percent (100%) of the most recent tuition reimbursement.

| HRS Privacy Practices Notice | Trouble Viewing Content? | |

Date Updated:November 27, 2013