UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN
UNIVERSITY BILL (u-bill) TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
I understand that each student at UNI is required to electronically sign the University of Northern Iowa Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility.
I understand that in order to attend classes at UNI and remain registered for classes, UNI requires that I pay in full the amount of any fees, tuition, housing and meal plan costs, and any other charges I have incurred in connection with my attendance at UNI, on the dates indicated by UNI for each semester, term, or session.
UNI considers this extension of credit to be an “educational loan” under Federal and State laws. Educational loans are not dischargeable under Federal bankruptcy statutes, unless specifically so ordered by the bankruptcy court.
I understand it is my responsibility to inform the UNI Registrar’s Office of any change in my name, address, telephone number, or Social Security number.
- All University billing statements and related notices will be provided to me via electronic means using the official UNI e-mail address. I understand that if I am not enrolled, billing statements and related notices will be sent to the Permanent Home address that I have provided to the University.
- Tuition and fee policies and descriptions can be found in the course catalog which is available online at www.uni.edu/catalog or at the Student Accounts website, www.uni.edu/obo/student_accounts. Tuition and fees are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Regents, State of Iowa (BOR).
- I am liable for any costs associated with programs in which I have enrolled even if they are not processed through my University bill (u-bill). These costs may consist of purchases made on my behalf that are associated with a course or University-associated activity.
- Billing is processed the 1st of each month and due the 20th or, if the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, the first working day after the 20th.
- I may elect to pay my u-bill by direct debit (e-Check) from my checking or savings account through MyUNIverse, the Student Center tab, and clicking on the Pay My Bill link. This is generally available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- I may pay my u-bill in person at the Cashier’s Office in Gilchrist Hall 103 during published office hours which can be found at www.uni.edu/obo/student_accounts.
- I may pay my u-bill by mail to UNI Student Accounts, Gilchrist Hall 103, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0008. If I make my payment by check, I will make my check payable to the University of Northern Iowa and I will put my university identification (UID) number on my check. If my payment is being sent on my behalf by a third party (parent, grandparent, or other authorized third party), I will be sure my UID number is shown on the check so proper credit can be given to my account.
- In the event a payment is dishonored due to insufficient funds or otherwise, a return check fee, in an amount approved by the BOR, will be charged to my u-bill. I am responsible for all dishonored payments, including dishonored payments made by third parties to whom I have granted access to my account.
- Credit and debit cards are NOT accepted for u-bill payment.
- I may pay my u-bill in full the month it is billed, or I may choose to request a payment plan offered through UNI in Student Center. UNI offers two installment options – a 3-month and a 5-month plan each semester; a $20 deferred billing fee will be assessed each semester and will be added to my first installment. Additional details can be found at www.uni.edu/obo/student_accounts.
- Financial aid awards will be applied against the total balance of my u-bill if the award allows.
- It is standard procedure that all credit balances on the u-bill be refunded to me. The University does not accept prepayments or hold payments for future charges. The refunding schedule can be found at www.uni.edu/obo/student_accounts .
- Refunds are deposited electronically into my checking or savings account via direct deposit. I must enroll for direct deposit at www.uni.edu via MyUNIverse-Student Center tab.
- If I do not set up direct deposit, a paper check will be issued but significantly delayed.
- It is my responsibility to review the University’s refund policy which can be found at www.uni.edu/obo/student_accounts.
OVERDUE PAYMENTS AND OFFSETS
I understand that failure to make timely payments is subject to the following penalties:
- Denial or cancellation of future term course enrollment. A hold will be placed on all academic records until the account is paid in full and becomes current.
- There will be a FINANCE CHARGE computed at a periodic monthly rate of 1% per month on the amount past due.
- The privilege of charging items across campus to my u-bill may be limited or cancelled. This could include, but would not be limited to, athletic tickets, parking permits, theater tickets, and food and laundry charges.
- I understand that if I receive any type of federal financial aid (including Stafford loans and/or PLUS loans) and then withdraw from UNI or reduce my course load, my financial aid eligibility may be re-calculated. A percentage of the aid I received may be considered unearned and may have to be returned to the funding source, therefore, I will be billed for that amount and any outstanding educational benefit overpayment. At its discretion, UNI may allow me to repay this amount in installments but I understand that I may be assessed finance charges on the balance until it is paid in full.
- My account balance may be accelerated. This means that if I fail to make any payment when due, UNI may declare the entire balance owed (including principal, interest, late charges and collection costs) to be due and payable within 15 days. UNI will provide written notification of such default and payment must be paid within the allotted time.
- The unpaid account may be referred for collection. I understand that all collection costs and reasonable attorney’s fees involved in the collection of my debt will be charged to my account. This includes any costs associated with the referral of the unpaid account to an outside collection agency.
- The University reserves the right under Iowa law to offset any amount I owe the University against any monies owed to me by the State of Iowa, such as State of Iowa tax refunds, lottery winnings, and vendor payments.
- The University reserves the right to offset any amount I owe the University against any credit balances I have in any University account, whether the account is managed by the University or an agent acting on behalf of the University.
- The University may deduct from my paycheck or from any other amounts payable to me, an amount equal to the total of my u-bill balance. I will allow the University to collect any amounts owed by me even if I am no longer employed by UNI.
- If the University initiates legal proceedings to recover amounts owed by me under this Agreement, I agree to pay legal fees incurred by the University in such proceedings.
- The University may offset even if I have entered into an agreement with the University to repay my overdue payments.
I hereby acknowledge being given notice and give my consent, as may be required by law, to allow UNI, at its option, to report favorable and unfavorable credit information pertaining to me to credit bureaus and other non-campus third parties in the conduct of its credit granting and collection activities and UNI may release my Social Security Number to non-campus third parties as part of that credit granting or collection activity.
By checking “Yes, I have read and agree to the UNI U-bill Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility”, I acknowledge and agree that I have carefully read this document, fully understand it, and voluntarily agree to be legally bounded by it. The UNI U-bill Terms and Conditions of Financial Responsibility will become effective on the date captured by my electronic signature.
May 31, 2011