Police Division

Parking Division

Contacting the Police

Sexual Assault

Drugs & Alcohol

Crime Prevention

Crime Alert

Campus Crime Statistics

Daily Crime/Fire Log


Parameters for Public Forum


Emergency Preparedness

Campus Emergency Call 273-4000

Off-campus Emergency Call 911

2011 Annual Security Report

Reporting Crimes | Safety Programs | Alcohol & Drug Policies | Substance Abuse Services | Sexual Abuse | Filing a Disciplinary Complaint | Fire Safety Report

The University of Northern Iowa Department of Public Safety and Dean of Students offices are jointly responsible for gathering and publishing information required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Questions regarding any of the information contained in the university’s annual security report may be directed to the Director of Public Safety or the Office of the Dean of Students.

To obtain a printed copy of the report, contact the Office of Vice President for Student Affairs, 118 Gilchrist Hall, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0010.

Reporting Crimes:

Anyone on the Northern Iowa campus who is the victim of a crime or observes any criminal activity should report that incident immediately to the Department of Public Safety. Crimes reported to Residence Life Coordinators, Dean of Students office, or the Coordinator of Student Organizations and Activities will also be reported to the UNI Department of Public Safety.

Persons making crime reports should include as much information as possible, including location, nature of any injuries, description of possible criminals, and a brief description of what happened. Police officers will respond, take action if appropriate, investigate, and file a report. Off-campus incidents should be reported to the respective law enforcement agency. Assistance in contacting these agencies is available through the UNI Department of Public Safety.

Confidential Reporting:

Crime victims as well as persons reporting a crime may file a report confidentially with the UNI Department of Public Safety, Residence Life Coordinators, Dean of Students or the Coordinator of Student Organizations and Activities. Victims of sexual abuse have the additional option of filing an anonymous report with the Violence Intervention Services. The filing of a confidential report will provide timely documentation of important information and assist the University in targeting future prevention efforts. Confidential reports without any individually identifying information are included in the university’s annual crime statistics.

Missing Student and Emergency Contact Registration:

The University will request of all new students residing in the University owned residence system that they provide, on a voluntary basis, emergency contact information. This confidential information will be used only by authorized University personnel in the event a student is reported missing while at the institution.

If a University of Northern Iowa student living in University-operated housing is suspected to be missing from campus, students faculty and staff are instructed to immediately report this information to a residence hall staff member (i.e. Director of Residence Life, Residence Hall Coordinator, Residence Assistant) Dean of Students, or the University Police Department. (UNI Police) In any event, University Police must be called if any student is reported as missing after 24 hours of the report.

If the reported missing student resides off-campus, individuals may contact the University Police for assistance in making notifications to other law enforcement agencies which has the jurisdiction to investigate. University Police may be contacted at 319-273-2712.

All reports of missing students made to the residence hall staff and/or University Police will be investigated and given priority to other tasks. If the investigation determines that the student has been missing over 24 hours then within the next 24 hours the University staff will:

  • Notify the individual identified as your emergency contact person;
  • If under 18 year of age, the University will notify parent or guardian, and;
  • If over 18 years of age and have not provided an emergency contact, the University will notify the appropriate jurisdictional law enforcement agency and other as deemed necessary

Police Log:

The UNI Department of Public Safety, Police Division maintains an open log for all criminal cases, which is available for public view during normal business hours, Monday through Friday. The log is located at the office of Public Safety, 30 Gilchrist Hall. All release of information is subject to federal and state restrictions and in accordance with Chapter 22 of the Iowa Code. A crime log is provided daily on the Department of Public Safety's web site.

Timely Warnings:

To keep the University of Northern Iowa community informed about safety and security issues, timely warnings are issued on a case-by-case basis via the University of Northern Iowa Public Safety Department website. Dependent upon the circumstance of the incident, warnings may be issued via press releases, e-mail or phone notifications in addition to the Public Safety website. The timely warnings provide notification to the campus community about certain reportable criminal incidents the institution believes may pose a continuing threat to the community.

Emergency Notification

The university has two systems to notify the campus community of emergencies and threats to physical safety. The UNI ALERT and OUTDOOR WARNING SYSTEM can both be utilized in the event of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees occurring on campus. Emergencies may include threats to physical safety in situations such as tornados/severe weather, violence, hazardous materials incidents, fires, etc.

The UNI-Alert system allows University of Northern Iowa administrators to send recorded, text messaging and/or e-mail messages to cell phones, office phones, and e-mail addresses of UNI students, faculty and staff. This process can be completed within a 15 to 20 minute period.

The outdoor warning system is a speaker system which, when activated, can provide live or pre-recorded messages. The system also provides siren notification. The loudspeakers may be activated individually at any of the eight speaker locations on campus or as a collective system.

The UNI homepage website will also provide updated information on the nature and extent of emergencies on campus. The site can provide basic information and live updates as information becomes available during emergency situations.

All emergencies situations are dynamic and confirmation or verification of the specific emergency should be made whenever possible prior to activation of the Alert system. The Public Safety Director, Associate Director, and Shift Supervisor's work as a team with the President, Vice Presidents, and Threat Assessment Team to define, coordinate the emergency response and determine the content of the information to be provided to campus on a case by case basis.

The Director, Associate Director, and Shift Supervisor’s in consolation with the President, Vice President, and Critical Incident Team will confirm the emergency, determine the content of the messaging to be provided to campus, and initiate the timely warning as soon as possible. Messaging will be provided as to evacuation of buildings and/or campus locations affected by the specific emergency. Operational planning also permits UNI Public Safety shift supervisor’s to confirm and issue warnings in emergency situations when time and circumstances do not permit immediate notification to immediate supervisors.

The Department of Public Safety Dispatchers assists in the activation of the UNI-Alert and UNI Loudspeaker system notification process. Dispatcher’s receive training in the operation of the UNI-Alert and UNI Loudspeaker system and activate the system during scheduled alert testing during the year. In addition, during those months when the County Emergency Siren testing is completed, UNI activates its Loudspeaker system after notification of the Black Hawk County siren testing. The campus community is notified prior to any testing dates scheduled for the activation of the alert systems. The Public Safety Dispatchers are certified by the State of Iowa.

More information can be found at www.uni.edu/alert and at www.uni.edu/pubsaf.

Crime Alerts:

Crime alerts are issued to the University community through the Department of Public Safety’s Web Page or other forms of announcement to aid in preventing similar crimes or warn students and staff of crimes that may represent a threat to their safety and welfare. The campus community is also informed of crimes reported to the Department of Public Safety by other campus security authorities and/or local police agencies.

Check Crime Alerts online.

Anonymous Reporting/Sexual Assaults:

Many victims/survivors feel a strong need to notify campus personnel about their assault, but want to maintain their privacy. Survivors may do this by completing a Sexual Assault Anonymous Reporting Form. This form asks for details about the assault (e.g., date, location, and what occurred) and has a "tear off" sheet that describes programs that can assist a survivor. Completed forms should be returned to Violence Intervention Services. The information obtained from the forms will be compiled (without individually identifying information) and used to assist the University in targeting prevention efforts.

The reporting form may also be completed online at:

On-line reports are sent anonymously via e-mail to Violence Intervention Services. The e-mail address of the respondent does not appear anywhere in the transmission.

Anonymous reporting forms can also be discreetly obtained from the individuals and programs listed below:

  • UNI Office of Vice President for Student Affairs
  • UNI Counseling Center
  • UNI Student Health Clinic
  • UNI Department of Public Safety
  • UNI Wellness and Recreation Services
  • UNI Office of Compliance and Equity Management
  • UNI Violence Intervention Services
  • Resident Assistants
  • Residence Life Coordinators

UNI Residence Life Coordinators, the Coordinator for Student Organizations and Activities, and the Dean of Students are obligated in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act to report on-campus sexual abuse incidents to the UNI Department of Public Safety. Students should not be alarmed by this fact. This does not mean that a victim must pursue pressing charges. The purpose of these disclosures is to ensure that the University is aware of sexual abuse incidents and can respond institutionally to make future assaults less likely.

Sex Offenders

The University of Northern Iowa understands the serious threat caused by repeated sexual predators. Beginning in 2001, the University began a broad-based effort to fight gender-based violence and sexual crimes in our community. One important part of the effort is giving students, staff and faculty the information to make informed decisions about their own safety. One source of information is Iowa Sex Offender Registry, a listing of all persons convicted of sexual crimes who are considered most likely to commit future sexual crimes.

The Federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, which became effective October 28, 2002, requires the University of Northern Iowa to inform the campus community where to find information on registered sex offenders. Persons who are on the sex offender registry, or legally should be, are not allowed to live on campus.

The provisions of the federal act are mirrored in Iowa Code Section 692A.3A. The Iowa law also requires sex offenders already required to register in another jurisdiction also inform the Black Hawk County Sheriff anytime they become affiliated with the University. Affiliation with UNI includes when a person is employed, carries on a vocation, or is a student. This report of affiliation must be made within 5 days to the County Sheriff.

Iowa's Sex Offender Law:

Iowa's sex offender law sets out a variety of sexual crimes that, if a person is convicted, require evaluation of the convicted person as a sex offender. The sex offender evaluation rates the sex offender to their propensity to re-offend or commit continued sexual crimes. If a person is considered "at-risk" to re-offend, then the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation will list the name of the offender on the Public Sex Offender Database (IowaSexOffender.com).

** Be Advised - Many convicted sex offenders are not listed in the online Sex Offender database because they do not qualify as a serious "at-risk" to re-offend. Additionally, thousands of sex offenders convicted before 1995 are not part of the database or who have been convicted after 1995 but who have not been added due to backlogs. If you need more information, contact your local law enforcement (police or sheriff) office or contact the UNI Department of Public Safety for assistance.

Search Iowa Sex Offender Database
Read the Iowa Sex Offender Law


Department of Public Safety (www.uni.edu/pubsaf/)

We encourage you to view the UNI Department of Public Safety first and foremost as a resource. Police Officers are trained in emergency medical procedures, CPR and first aid. They also participate in at least 12 hours of continuing education each year, focusing on topics such as conflict management, crime scene investigation, sexual abuse, hate crimes, stalking, alcohol abuse and an annual update on the State Code of Iowa.

The Department of Public Safety has an authorized strength of 18 sworn police officers. They have full powers of arrest and must meet all requirements of state peace officers as required by Iowa Law Enforcement Academy. The Department works closely with the Cedar Falls Police Department, specifically with regard to monitoring and reporting criminal activity involving students who reside off campus.

The Department of Public Safety also has a Student Patrol Program with approximately 15 members. Student Patrol members wear distinctive jackets identifying their role. As campus observers, they report but are not expected to personally handle unusual circumstances. They also assist with student escort and building access tasks.

Safety Services Offered:

  • 24-hour public safety vehicle and foot patrols.
  • Blue Light Emergency Phones throughout campus.
  • RAD (Rape Aggression Defense) training: female-only self defense classes
  • Enforcement of state laws and University regulations.
  • Filing and investigation of crime reports.
  • Timely notice to the campus community of criminal acts, both on campus and in the surrounding community.
  • Escorting students, staff and faculty, particularly after dark.
  • Program presentations to students on topics such as personal safety, property protection, alcohol and drug abuse and winter driving.
  • Maintenance of mutual aid and inter-agency reporting agreements with the cities of Cedar Falls and Waterloo.
  • Engraving and the loan of engraving tools for marking possessions.
  • Working with the Physical Plant and other UNI departments to ensure prompt handling of environmental safety issues, such as exterior lighting, signage and physical hazards.

Safety Suggestions

Student and employee awareness and involvement are critical to campus safety. To assist the university in achieving its safety goals, we urge you to:

  • Avoid walking alone, particularly after dark.
  • Travel well-lighted, regular walkways and avoid shortcuts.
  • Make use of the campus escort service.
  • Stay alert to your surroundings. Be aware of what is going on around you.
  • Lock rooms and offices at night and when gone, even if you are gone for just a few minutes.
  • Never leave building doors propped open.
  • Never loan keys or leave them in the open.
  • Do not assist someone in entering a residence hall if s/he does not have a key. Instead, direct him/her to call the Department of Public Safety for assistance.
  • Keep vehicles locked and valuables in the trunk.
  • Always lock bicycles.
  • Mark all items of value to allow identification of personal property.
  • Report suspicious activity to the Department of Public Safety Police Division.
  • Attend the various safety awareness and crime prevention programs offered on campus. Such programs are emphasized particularly at the beginning of fall and spring semesters, but are also available throughout the year by request. Contact the Department of Public Safety (273-2712).


The awareness of and commitment to safety exhibited by UNI's general student population is reflected in the availability of escorts. Although Northern Iowa's campus is generally well lighted, sidewalks are wide, and trees and shrubs are kept neatly trimmed, it is a good idea to use and escort service, particularly when walking on campus during evening hours. Escort services and their hours can be found in the "resources" section elsewhere in this publication. Also, it should be noted that a 24-hour telephone is available in the North UNI-Dome and the South Art parking lots for access to escort service via the Department of Public Safety.


Convenient phone access is available if you need to arrange an escort or report a crime or unusual circumstance. Free public campus telephones are available in many locations, such as residence halls, Maucker Union, Schindler Education Center, Gilchrist Hall and the Physical Education Center. There also are ten Blue Light Emergency Phones located throughout the UNI Campus. The phones allow one-button emergency voice connection to the Department of Public Safety Communications Center. These phones were funded in part with grants from the US Dept of Justice’s Violence Against Women Office and the Northern Iowa Student Government. Additional special outdoor phones are located at the Visitor Information Center and at the east end of Gilchrist Hall to provide direct, immediate access to the Department of Public Safety.


Firearms are not allowed on campus.

Resident Halls

Residents are issued keys to their respective rooms when they move in. If a key is reported lost, the room door is re-keyed and new keys are issued. Residence hall exterior doors are locked by 9:00 each night after which residents must use their outside door keys to gain entrance at doors keyed for resident use. Unescorted guests must use the outside phone by the main entrance to call a resident to gain entrance after the doors are locked. Non-residents must be escorted during posted "escort hours" or when halls are locked for security purposes. Students receive more complete residence hall regulations in the "Panther Planner" publication printed annually. Also, personal safety programs are provided within the first three weeks of fall semester and throughout the year.

Academic Building Access

You will generally find that academic buildings close to the public at about 10:30 p.m., when doors are locked by Building Services or Public Safety staff. Use of areas such as labs, studios and auditoriums is permitted after hours by faculty and by those students who have faculty permission to do so on file with the Department of Public Safety. Officers routinely patrol the buildings, and unauthorized persons are required to leave the premises.


University of Northern Iowa Alcohol and Drug Policy

It is the policy of the University of Northern Iowa and the Board of Regents to provide for a drug-free work place and learning environment for its students and employees.

The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of alcohol or controlled substances by students or employees on University owned or leased property or in conjunction with a University-sponsored event is prohibited.

Students who violate this policy may receive any of a number of sanctions, including an official warning, conduct probation, suspension, expulsion, or referral for prosecution and may be required to pay for any damages they caused. Depending upon the circumstance, participation in an educational program and/or a treatment program may also be required.

Employees who violate this policy may be referred for an educational/treatment program and may be subject to disciplinary action including a formal reprimand, being placed on enforced leave status, suspension, termination or referral for prosecution.


Substance Abuse Services: 273-2137 (www.uni.edu/wellrec/wellness/subabuse)

Wellness & Recreation Center, Room 101H.

University Health Services employs a Health Educator who specializes in alcohol and drug abuse. If you have concerns about your substance use or that of a family member or a friend, please contact Mark Rowe at 273-3423. Mr. Rowe can help you determine whether a problem exists, the extent of the problem, and which resources would best assist you. The information you share is confidential!

Students may also be referred to Substance Abuse Services because of an alcohol or other drug related incident. The nature and the number of incidents determine the particular program the student would complete. These educational programs are designed to help students avoid future difficulties and are not punitive in their content or delivery.

Workshops and presentations are also available to students groups and in classroom settings. Please call Substance Abuse Services if you would like to attend or host a workshop.


Sexual Abuse Information

UNI Policy on Sexual Abuse

The University of Northern Iowa will not tolerate sexual abuse in any form. Students and University employees charged with sexual abuse can be prosecuted under Iowa criminal statutes and/or be disciplined under University disciplinary procedures. In the case of students, disciplinary action includes the possibility of suspension or expulsion from the University. University students, faculty and staff who become aware of incidents of sexual abuse should contact either the UNI Department of Public Safety, Dean of Students, UNI Counseling Center or UNI Violence Intervention Services for information and assistance.

The individual need not identify him/herself or the victim. The primary consideration should be the health, safety and emotional well-being of the victim. The federal Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act requires campus security authorities to maintain and distribute statistical information concerning various crimes, including rape/sexual abuse.

  • Individuals who have been sexually abused should report the incident to the UNI Department of Public Safety or Violence Intervention Services.
  • Information regarding the filing of a sexual abuse complaint against a student is available from the Office of the Dean of Students.
  • Information regarding the filing of a sexual abuse complaint against an employee is available from the Department of Public Safety.
  • Confidential counseling for students who are victims of sexual abuse is available at the UNI Counseling Center without charge. Referral assistance is also available without charge for employees.
  • Victim referral assistance and information regarding victim's rights and sexual abuse education and prevention are available by contacting Violence Intervention Services housed in the Student Health Center.
  • UNI Sexual Assault and Misconduct Policy

UNI Violence Intervention Services: 273-2137, Student Health Center

University Health Services employs a Health Educator who specializes in assisting sexual abuse survivors and in coordinating abuse prevention efforts. Joan Thompson is a trained sexual assault advocate housed in the Student Health Center. Ms. Thompson can help survivors understand and evaluate various treatment options and avenues for recourse e.g. criminal and university complaints. You may phone her directly at 273-2137. Communications with an advocate are confidential.

A variety of programs are also available to promote the awareness of date or acquaintance rape and other forms of sexual abuse (both forcible and non-forcible). These workshops include "Campus Rape", a program that educates about the prevalence of sexual assault and provides risk reduction strategies for students. The "No Witness" program is a courtroom simulation of a criminal trial for a date rape allegation. The program challenges viewers' perceptions of what constitutes rape and helps clarify the issue of consent. "Mentors in Violence Prevention" (MVP), is a curriculum-based program that can be used with all-male, all-female or mixed gender audiences. The MVP program relates to participants as potential bystanders/observers of gender-based violence. Students learn and rehearse appropriate responses to a range of hostile and/or abusive behavior.

Workshops and educational presentations are available to student groups, living groups and in classroom settings. Please call Sexual Abuse Services for a complete listing of sexual abuse prevention programs.

What To Do If You're Assaulted?

  1. Get Medical Attention

Rape victims should be examined immediately for injuries, including internal injuries that may not be apparent. The medical provider may also test for pregnancy and for sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV. The Black Hawk County Sexually Transmitted Disease Program in Waterloo offers free, confidential HIV testing. With the victim's consent, the medical professional can also gather valuable physical evidence that may be used should s/he seek criminal charges. Compensation for the portion of the exam that is performed for evidence collection is paid for by the State of Iowa. (See Sexual Abuse Area Services) As difficult as it may be, it is important not to shower, douche, use the restroom or change clothing before going to the hospital. Each of these activities could compromise or destroy evidence, making prosecution less likely. Maintaining the integrity of physical evidence safeguards the survivor's option of pursuing criminal charges.

  1. Report the Assault

Reporting a sexual assault is a difficult, yet important decision. Making a report may assist in the recovery process, as it helps the survivor connect with the supportive services. Reporting could also reduce the likelihood that the assailant harms someone else. Remember, an assault can be reported without initiating an investigation or prosecuting the attacker. If the assault occurred on University property, the report should be made to the UNI Department of Public Safety. If the assault occurred off-campus, the report should be given to the local police department.

UNI Residence Life Coordinators and Dean of Students office are obligated in accordance with the Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act to report on-campus sexual abuse incidents to the UNI Department of Public Safety. Students should not be alarmed by this fact. This does not mean that a victim must pursue pressing charges. In addition, campus personnel will share the victim's identity only with the victim's permission. The purpose of these disclosures is to ensure that the University is aware of sexual abuse incidents and can respond institutionally to make future assaults less likely.

The victim/survivor is entitled to have a support person (e.g. a rape advocate, friend, relative, or counselor) present during interviews with law enforcement personnel. Neither the Cedar Falls Police Division or the UNI Department of Public Safety routinely releases victims' names to the media. However, if charges are filed, the information becomes public record.

  1. Get Professional Help and Support

Sexual abuse survivors commonly feel ashamed, fearful, confused and alone. These feelings may be difficult to overcome without help. A counselor can help the victim understand that rape is never the survivor's fault, even if the individual was naive, did not act cautiously or agreed to some degree of sexual activity. Survivors may also benefit from participating in a support group, where they share and receive support from others who have been sexually abused.

A wealth of resources are available to assist survivor including free individual and group counseling, access to a 24-hour crisis line and advocacy services. (Please refer to the "Campus and Community Sexual Abuse Area Resources" chart on this page.)

Boyfriends, girlfriends, parents, siblings and roommates may also provide support and understanding. Significant people in the survivor's life may have a difficult time coping with the assault. They may also be in need of counseling, not only to assist the victim, but to obtain support for their own feelings.

Rights and Assurances for Sexual Abuse Survivors

  1. Your report will be taken seriously and you will be treated with dignity.
  2. We will provide referrals to a sexual assault advocate who can assist you in understanding and evaluating options that are available to you.
  3. We will help you notify the proper civil, criminal and administrative authorities, should you choose to do so.
  4. We will not discourage you from reporting the incident.
  5. You will not be blamed, subtly or overtly, for what happened
  6. You will be afforded the same rights as the accused in regards to campus disciplinary proceedings.
  7. You will be notified promptly of the outcome of such proceedings.
  8. You will have the full and prompt cooperation of Public Safety personnel in obtaining, securing and maintaining evidence that would assist in subsequent legal proceedings.
  9. We will take reasonably feasible steps to prevent unnecessary or unwanted contact or proximity with your assailant, including no contact notices and no trespassing letters. At your request, we will also help you find alternate housing and/or change your class assignments.
  10. You have the right to counseling. Campus personnel will help you locate these resources.
  11. You have the right to be made aware of, and assisted in, exercising any options as provided by state and federal laws.

Campus and Community Sexual Abuse Area Resources

Legal / Judicial Services
UNI Police Division
030 Gilchrist Hall
(319) 273-2712
(319) 273-4000 (emergency)
To report sexual abuse if the assault occurred on campus. Reporting is not the same as filing charges, but would initiate an investigation of the assault.
Cedar Falls Police Dept.
(319) 291-2515
or 911(emergency)
To report sexual abuse that occurred in Cedar Falls. Reporting is not the same as filing charges, but would initiate an investigation of the assault.
Waterloo Police Dept.
(319) 291-2515
or 911(emergency)
To report sexual abuse that occurred in Waterloo. Reporting is not the same as filing charges, but would initiate an investigation of the assault.
Black Hawk County Attorney's Office Courthouse
316 E. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50703
(319) 833-3001
Prosecution of sexual assault cases.
UNI Dean of Students office, Gilchrist 118,
(319) 273-2332
To file a University sexual abuse complaint if the perpetrator is a student. A victim/survivor can simultaneously pursue criminal prosecution and University disciplinary sanctions against the perpetrator(s). Victims may have a person of their choosing accompany them throughout the disciplinary process. (See listing for UNI Sexual Abuse Services).
Office of Compliance and Equity Management
Gilchrist 117
(319) 273-2846
To discuss/and or report incidents of sexual harassment. To access the University's policy on sexual harassment and for reporting responsibilities for employees, please visit www.uni.edu/equity/sharass.shmtl. Allegations of sexual harassment against employees should be made to the Office of Compliance and Equity Management and allegations against students should be filed in the Office of the Vice President for Educational and Student Services. Allegations against graduate students, in the context of an employee role with the University, should be filed with the Office of Compliance and Equity Management.
Psychological Services
UNI Counseling Center
103 Student Services Center
(319) 273-2676
Individual and group counseling, psychological evaluation, referral to campus and community agencies, and consultations.
Mental Health Center Inc.
3251 W. 9th St
Waterloo, IA 50702
(319) 234-2893
Individual and family counseling services. Eligibility for counseling services is based upon county eligibility guidelines, managed care and/or insurance requirements. Services are provided on a sliding fee scale based upon income.
Grundy Center Seeds of Hope
804 First Street
Grundy Center, IA 50638
(319) 824-5522

Toll Free Crisis Line:
1 (888) 746-HOPE

Hardin County Location
1201 14th Ave
Eldora, IA 50627

Toll Free: 1 (800) 859-3048
Ext. 371
24-hour crisis line, 24-hour rape/sexual assault medical, legal and court advocacy, individual counseling, support groups, emergency cellular phone loan program, transportation to medical and counseling appointments as needed, training, community education and prevention services.
Medical Services
UNI Health Clinic
(319) 273-2009
(319) 273-7425 (Appointment Scheduling)
Care for acute medical or psychological injuries, protection from infection, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, and pregnancy options counseling, sexually transmitted disease testing and treatment, including HIV antibody testing, medical follow up services, physicals (including pap smears), urinary tract infection screening, referral for evidence collection and for campus and community counseling and advocacy services. All services and tests for victims of sexual assault are provided in a safe, non-judgmental environment and are free and confidential to the patient.
Sartori Hospital
Call 911 for an ambulance.
24-Hour emergency medical services and examinations for evidence using a rape kit.
Allen Women's Health
on College Hill
(319) 277-1755
1001 West 23rd Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Pregnancy testing, birth control, sexually transmitted infection screening, physicals (including pap smears), & urinary tract infection screenings. Services are provided on a sliding fee scale based upon income, except for pregnancy testing, which is provided without charges.
Black Hawk County Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinic
1497 Independence Ave.
Waterloo, IA 50703
(319) 291-2413
Free, confidential sexually transmitted disease testing and treatment, anonymous HIV antibody testing. No appointment necessary. Please phone for clinic hours.
Religious / Spiritual Services

Campus Ministries are listed in the UNI telephone directory.
Financial Services
Crime Victim Compensation Program
1-800-373-5044 or 515-281-5044
Reimbursement for cost of sexual assault evidence collection ("rape kit" exam). Will reimburse for other crime-related expenses (e.g. lost wages, medical /counseling costs) under certain conditions.
Education / Advocacy Services
Violence Intervention Services,
Student Health Center, UNI Phone: (319) 273-2137

Counseling, medical & legal referrals, safe housing arrangements, assistance with academic concerns (e.g. coursework extensions, excused absences, reduced course loads), meeting accompaniment, initiation of No Contact and/or No Trespass orders. Coordination of campus-wide prevention efforts.
Crime Victim Witness Assistance Program Black Hawk Co. Attorney's Office
(319) 833-3001
Information regarding victim's rights and assistance in trial preparation, in obtaining restitution and in reclaiming property held as evidence. Referral assistance and accompaniment to court (if desired).
Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline
1-(800) 284-7821
The Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline is a 24-hour line providing support, information and referral services to survivors of sexual abuse, significant others, and individuals seeking information and referral. All services are confidential, free of charge and available to women, men and children. The Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline assists callers in accessing local resources such as sexual assault and domestic violence centers, shelters, law enforcement agencies, hospitals, county attorney offices, and other counseling services.
Additional Resources
Residence Hall Staff Resident Assistants and Hall/Complex Coordinators are tremendous resources to students who have been sexually abused. In addition to providing emotional support, Hall/Complex Coordinators can (under certain circumstances) initiate a "No Trespass Letter" which forbids your assailant from entering your residence hall or complex.
SAVE Program
(Students Against a Violent Environment)
Students Against a Violent Environment (SAVE) is a group of students from UNI committed to reducing gender-based violence on campus. SAVE Frontline, Mentors, Forum Actors and Advocates seek to create a safer and more equitable environment, inclusive of all students, through mentorship, activism, advocacy and theater. The SAVE Program is supported with funds provided by a grant awarded to UNI Women's Studies Program from the U.S. Department of Justice, Violence Against Women Office.

SAVE web site


Filing a University Disciplinary Complaint

University disciplinary proceedings will be brought to a reasonably prompt conclusion whether or not criminal proceedings are under way. When a complaint is filed, information will be gathered to determine if there is sufficient information to support the alleged misconduct, and if so, who will hear the case. Violations that potentially warrant suspension or expulsion require a hearing panel. The complaint is upheld if the hearing panel is convinced that it is more likely than not that a violation occurred. Victims are apprised of the outcome of the hearing and any appeals that may result. Both the complainant and the accused may appeal the hearing panel decision.

The following sanctions may be imposed upon any student found in violation of a University policy: warning, probation, delayed registration, suspension, expulsion and discretionary sanctions. “Discretionary sanctions” generally require a student to provide a specific service, participate in a specific program, receive specific instruction, or to complete a specific assignment. Discretionary sanctions can include mandatory referrals for counseling and/or for a mental health assessment.

Victims/survivors, as well as those accused of misconduct, are afforded the right to have a person of their choosing accompany them throughout the disciplinary process. We encourage survivors to obtain assistance from a sexual assault advocate. Advocates have received specialized training in all aspects of sexual assault. Communications with an advocate are confidential. Additionally, steps can be taken to minimize the degree of contact between a victim and the accused e.g., no contact notices, no trespassing letters, and alternative living and/or class arrangements for the victim. Additional information regarding victim services may be obtained through Violence Intervention services, UNI Public Safety and the Seeds of Hope Advocacy Services.

For additional information, see UNI Polices and Procedures 3.02 Student Conduct Code, Article IV, Student Conduct Code Procedures, Section D.4 (e). The UNI policy 3.15 “Student Sexual Misconduct Policy” (found at http://www.uni.edu/policies/315) includes language relating to the rights of students in the disciplinary process.

University of Northern Iowa
Fire Safety Report

The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requires two (2) new safety-related requirements on institutions that participate in federal student financial aid programs which follow:

1. Fire Log: Institutions must keep a fire log that states the nature of the fire, date, time, and the general location of each fire in on-campus student housing facilities. The University of Northern Iowa complies with this rule by including all fire-related incidents in the daily crime and fire log. To view the most recent information, please visit the Department of Public Safety Daily Crime and Fire Safety Log at: www.vpaf.uni.edu/pubsaf/crime_stats/log
Requests for information older than 60 days must be directed to the Director of Public Safety. Information will be made available within two (2) business days of a request for public inspection.

2. Annual Fire Safety Report: Institutions with on-campus student housing facilities must publish annually a fire safety report that provides information on campus fire safety practices and standards. The University of Northern Iowa complies with this regulation by including all fire-related incidents on-campus student housing facilities as a part of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report. Information contained in this annual fire safety report includes: number and causes of fires at all on-campus student housing facilities; number of fire related deaths; related injuries; value of fire-related property damage; information on evacuation procedures; fire safety education and training programs; fire safety systems in each student housing facility; number of regular mandatory supervised fire drills; and policies on portable electrical appliances, smoking and open flames. The annual fire safety data must contain three (3) years of data.

3. Definition of Fire: Definition of Fire: For the purposes of fire safety reporting, a fire is, "Any instance of open flame or other burning in a place not intended to contain the burning or in an uncontrolled manner."

Fire Statistics: The following statistics must be collected and reported, both in the annual fire safety report and the Department of Education's web-based data collection system, for each on-campus student housing facility.

  • The number of fires and the cause of each fire. These cause categories to be used are:

    • Unintentional Fire
      • Cooking
      • Smoking materials
      • Open flames
      • Electrical
      • Heating equipment
      • Hazardous products
      • Machinery/Industrial
      • Natural
      • Other
    • Intentional Fires
    • Undetermined Fire
  • The number of deaths related to the fire
  • The number of deaths related to the fire
  • The number of injuries related to the fire that resulted in treatment at a medical facility.
  • The value of property damage related to the fire.

Fire Protection Systems/Equipment:
Residence Facilities:

Bender Hall
Dancer Hall
Hagemann Hall
ROTH Complex
Shull Hall

Fire Control System
These facilities have fire sprinkler suppression systems installed in their facilities. Fire extinguishers are located in the buildings hallways.

Alarm Type
Simplex Grinnell alarm systems are installed and Residence Halls are now connected with fiber optic connection upgrades and have in-house voice notification capabilities within the facilities. Alarms are monitored on a 24 hour basis by University Police Dispatchers. Audible alarms and strobe lights are activated in the event of a fire. Pull station alarms are installed throughout the facility.

Residence Facilities
Campbell Hall Lawther Hall Noehren Hall Rider Hall Bartlett Hall

Fire Control System
These facilities have fire extinguishers located throughout the facilities. All corridor doors are fire rated.

Alarm Type
Simplex Grinnell alarm systems are installed in these facilities and were upgraded with fiber optics connections within the facilities. All facilities with the exception of Bartlett Hall have in-house voice notification capabilities. Alarms are monitored on a 24 hour basis by University Police Dispatchers. Audible alarms and strobe lights are activated in the event of a fire. Fire pull stations are installed.

Apartment Complexes
College Courts Apartments
Hillside Courts Apartments
Jennings Apartments
Residence 2115 Merner Street (Gamma Phi Beta)
Residence at 1209 West 22nd (Alpha Phi)
Residence at 1215 West 22nd Street (Pi Kappa Alpha)
Residence at 1233 West 22nd Street
Residence at 2604 College Street

Fire Control System
Each of these facilities has fire extinguisher units in the apartments. Corridor doors are fire rated.
Residences at 2115 Merner Street, 1209 West 22nd Street and 1215 West 22nd Street had sprinkler systems installed.

Fire Drills:
Residence halls conduct two fire drills each year.

Policies for Fire Safety Education:
Fire extinguisher training is provided to all RA's and Hall Coordinators on a yearly basis by the UNI Safety Office with the Cedar Falls Fire Department. This training is provided at the beginning of each academic year. All UNI RA's were provided a 45 minute Fire Awareness Training session delivered by the UNI Environmental Health and Safety Office. In addition, the Environmental Health and Safety Office distributed a brochure to all RA's entitled Information on Fire Safety for College Students.

The University of Northern Iowa policies for fire safety education can be found at the following websites:

Fire Safety Policy 7.04 http://www.uni.edu/policies/704
Fire Extinguisher Training http://www.vpaf.uni.edu/ehso/safety_faq.shtml
UNI Residence Emergency Information: http://www.uni.edu/dor/sites/default/files/Housing/2012PantherPlanner.pdf

Residence Hall Fire Evacuation Procedures:
When a fire is discovered, residents should pull the fire alarm and immediately notify the hall office of its location. Whenever an alarm sounds, residents should leave the hall. When leaving a room, residents should:

  • Turn off lights
  • Put shades up and open curtains
  • Leave all room doors leading to the hallways closed and locked (for security reasons)
  • Close fire doors

Do not use elevators during evacuation during evacuation of the residence hall. Leave the hall by the nearest exit and/or the exit farthest from the fire or smoke when the alarm is sounded.
Residents should remain at least 50 feet away from the hall and not re-enter until after an "all clear" signal is given by the residence life coordinator, RAs and/or fire department or UNI Public Safety officials.

Fire safety exits are placed on the inside of doors in the residence hall which provide fire evacuation routes for room occupants. All residents of the University apartments are provided an informational handout which covers the following items:

  • How to survive a fire
  • Exiting the apartment when exit is blocked by fire/smoke
  • Fire and Electrical hazards
  • Open Flames
  • What to do in the event of a grease fire
  • How to operate a fire extinguisher
  • Smoke alarm care and maintenance

Fire Safety Tampering:
Arson (knowingly or recklessly setting a fire), misuse or tampering with fire safety equipment, or false reporting of a fire, including sounding of a false fire alarm, is prohibited. Any false reporting or tampering with fire safety equipment may result in sanctions of the University Student Code of Conduct and/or criminal charges against the offender.

Fire Log:
The University will maintain a Fire Log which is posted on the UNI Daily Crime and Fire Log located at http://www.vpaf.uni.edu/pubsaf/crime_stats/log

2011 Fire Log
Number Date Time Location Cause of Fire Injuries or Deaths Property Loss Value
1 2/12/11 8:51p.m. 400 Rider Hall Lighting papers on door 0 $10
2. 2/26/11 1:20a.m. Bartlett Hallway Lighting papers on wall 0 $5


Date Updated: September 24, 2013