University of Northern Iowa
Administration and Financial Services Division 2010-15 Strategic Plan
To be an essential and effective University partner that provides supportive services to meet the needs of UNI’s students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
The Division of Administration and Financial Services is committed to the values of:
- Caring and diverse community that respects all people
- Cooperation and Communications
- Honesty and Integrity
Strategic Goal A: Continuously improve service to students, faculty, staff, and external constituents. Create a service-oriented campus culture in all divisional units.
- Implement and maintain best-practice initiatives.
- Identify Division services and functions currently being performed. Streamline, eliminate or consolidate duplicate functions.
- Develop and implement mechanisms for evaluating campus needs and Division performance.
- Increase the effectiveness of intra and inter divisional communications.
- Define customer service standards for each unit.
- Establish a standing Division-wide strategic planning committee to review the implementation of the Division plan and recommend additions and/or changes each year.
- Develop meaningful and useful decision support metrics along with mechanisms to capture the data and create corresponding reports in every divisional unit.
- Improve and expand the collaboration and partnering with UNI departments/units, Regents universities, state agencies, and local communities.
- Identify and pursue funding levels that are adequate to cover all core services.
- Ensure financial accountability to Regents, state, and federal constituents.
- Develop and implement comprehensive risk assessment and prevention. Review and update policies and procedures ensuring they address risk appropriately while optimizing strategic opportunities.
- Optimize use of technology to provide increased support.
- Establish a process by which to prioritize divisional technology-related initiatives, providing focus and direction for the selection and implementation of new services and system enhancement.
- Promote the use of electronic business solutions to reduce the campus wide demand for paper.
Strategic Goal B: Invest in a quality workforce and work environment
- Recruit, retain, and promote outstanding staff committed to values of the Division and University.
- Increase diversity of A&FS Divisional staff and provide a variety of programs that promote and foster an inclusive work environment.
- Implement an equitable and competitive Professional and Scientific classification and compensation system.
- Provide a variety of programs that foster and encourage professional development opportunities for Division employees.
- Develop and use an effective performance management process to document progress and foster efficiency and effectiveness.
- Increase the number of opportunities for Division employees to be recognized and receive University, Regents, local, and national awards.
Strategic Goal C: Improve the University community’s quality of life.
- Elevate the importance of diversity in candidate pools for administrative leadership.
- Improve the local and out-of-state recruitment process of minority candidates for divisional job opportunities.
- Provide access to and promote a diverse set of high quality cultural, social, recreational, and intercollegiate athletic programs and opportunities for the University and to Iowa citizens.
- Increase employee participation in a University-wide coordinated wellness program.
- Support planning and implementation of the institution-wide “Reaching for Higher Ground” effort.
- Assess and update the current campus safety program to ensure a high quality and community based model.
Strategic Goal D: Ensure effective properties and facilities asset management.
- Develop plans and pursue adequate funding levels to support timely and needed campus infrastructure upgrades.
- Build and renovate campus construction that will meet rating of LEED silver performance or better.
- Develop and implement divisional and University-wide plans for energy reduction, energy efficiency, and energy conservation.
- Develop a comprehensive utilities master plan for the University.
- Review and update the campus master plan in response to the University’s strategic plan.
- Identify and strategically implement strategies to manage University space and facilities to reduce environmental impact on the campus and the Cedar Valley community.
- Improve current campus access and security control procedures and organization.
- Assure compliance with changing environmental regulatory requirements on campus operations and facilities.
- Develop strategies to meet or exceed STARS Gold rating levels for a sustainable campus.
Click here for a PDF version